I recently bought a Hawkeye 22-250 here on 24 and I have tried a lot of things to get it to shoot. So far the best three shot group is 1 1/2 " group at 100 meters - glass bedded barrel & free floated. Certainly not a very good shooter for varmints, I think.
I knew some of the early ones had problems. I just didn't know about Hawkeyes - maybe this one is an exception. The other 77's I've owned were mainly the early 77's (tang safeties), but with load development I've gotten all to shoot decent. The first 77 that I bought (back when I still had a FFL in the 70's) was a heavy barrel 280 that I bought for a merchant marine buddy who had little time to develop loads when he got back before deer season. It would shoot 1/4" groups with game loads.

I felt that since there seem to be a strong contingent that believed in Ruger Hawkeyes that I should try some. Especially regarding praises from a couple of writers that I respect.

Oh well, I'll keep trying with this Hawkeye.

Another problem I've had with Ruger 77's is the stock - comb - is too low for me resulting in getting a kick in the face on even otherwise medium recoil cartridges like 7mm RM. Has that been other's experience???

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally