Originally Posted by WarAdmiral
That Dexter boning knife in the photo is about the most useful knife for many tasks. Both the 6" and 8" models are invaluable. Those carbon steel models are easy to sharpen and hold an edge very well.

That Dexter is a very good knife and all that one would need for boning, but the Chicago Cutlery boner laying inside above the saw blade is the one I use the most. I used a knife like that for 24yr doing commercial work. The blades are stiff and replaceable. The Dexter came to me as found in the local refinery where I now work. It was covering in rust and in hard shape. The insulators there used them for cutting hard piping insulation and left it behind in the weather. They are not expensive, but as you mention a very good knife for it's intended task.

Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Lets see, you have a Worksharp knife sharpener with several spare belts, a battery Sawzall, several cordless powered knives....

I have used a Worksharp for years, but don't own one. The meat saw in the pic will do everything I need breaking down moose, but a good recip saw is a good choice for splitting backbones. I leave back intact and just bone the muscle from both sides. Not sure I've ever seen a cordless knife other than the one my grandfather used to carb the roast beast. smile

This young bull came home with me from Newfoundland last fall completely boneless except the side ribs. It is the finest eating moose we've ever had.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]