I use 2 things.

First, Mystery Ranch "pop up". 2 years ago I used the 18L, then swapped it for the 28L for last season. I like them for hauling loads. The very thick padding seems to push on me "funny" when I'm just using them as a day pack. So .. tradeoff.

Second, 20 ish years ago I bought a Cabela's "alaska guide" pack .. frame and harness only, no bag. For hunting I put my stuff in a dry bag or small day pack and strap that to the pack along with a carrier for a water bladder. For me the harness squeaks a bit more than I like for still hunting in thick cover. Mostly now I only use it if I'm out there in support of someone else who is the primary hunter. I lay back so the squeaks, etc don't alert the deer. Mostly it just rides in the truck and I'll switch to it after the first load if I'm doing multiple loads.

Both are better than the Badlands 2200 I used for 5-ish years. It was a great day pack, a little big. One pro was I used the pack for insulation on cold days ... it'd keep me warm by keeping my back and kidneys warm. The minus was it did not handle a heavy load well. I packed a whole blacktail buck out in it in one load one year and the straps cut into my shoulders pretty badly.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...