First, thanks for all the kind responses here and via private message. There are some really cool folks here.

hh4whiskey thanks for your comment. I agree with your assessment on the current legal shooting time basically meaning a good scope will suffice unless… I am in the unless category.

2 things that may shed a lil more light on my statement: (pun intended) My best places to hunt are in swampy areas that are mostly wooded. The greenfield I hunt the most has good deer. It is a narrow field that runs left and right with thick woods on both sides. The best deer are usually about 335 yards to my left and 175-250 yards to the right. The “field” isn’t wide at all. It’s more like a 10 yard wide lane where they cross at 335 yards. Not a lot of light in that scenario.

On the favorite field my son hunts, the absolute best big buck spots are in two narrow fingers that come off the field into the woods. They are planted. They are narrow. They are good. At last legal light they are dark.

As for the woods spots or places we climb, everyone’s plight there is equal. Light fades in those spots quickly.

I’m not complaining about our property. It’s awesome and we are blessed to have it. We see a lot of deer in various times of day at all distances. But the good bucks that live on and/or cross the property act like wild animals that don’t want to be killed. They keep crossing in spots where it’s hard to see them.

My sons and I have a blast prepping, planting, feeding, and hunting the small property we have. We take special pains in processing and preparing the venison. Each son takes special pride in whose deer we are eating. This is a pleasure for us. That’s all.

I don’t mean to imply in any way that a man shouldn’t hunt with what he likes and what he can afford. I want people to enjoy themselves. If you’re happy. I’m happy.

Sorry if that was too long. I suffer from bouts of long-winded-ness at times.

Again, thanks for all the comments, public and private. I hope all of you have a good day!