Originally Posted by simonkenton7
I went to Cancun seven times. I hated Cancun. But Cancun had an airport. We would fly down there from Atlanta, rent a car, and get out of town. We went 80 miles, down to a little town on the beach called Tulum. We would rent a little hut on the beach, lay back in a hammock under a palm tree and drink a cold Mexican beer. It was great! And very cheap. Beautiful crystal clear Carribbean water, wonderful skin diving there in the Yucatan.
This was back in the eighties. Last time we went was 1991. There were no problems except, every time we went down, now we would stay for a week, and the day we got back we got amoebic dysentery. They call it Montezuma's revenge. You will not be at your job for 4 days. Really nasty.

Anyway, no crime there in the Yucatan in those days. I talked to a gal who was at the same town, Tulum, in 2005 and she said the dope cartels were having shootouts in the streets with the Federal police, and she would never go back.

I also travelled extensively around Mexico by car in the seventies and eighties. Never had a problem. That country has gone into the septic tank since then. I wouldn't go back to Mexico today if you paid me a thousand dollars.

That is all true.

I went down to Tulum in those days too.

Beautiful water

Zero crime

Food and drink cheap cheap

Yes, you did get Montezuma’s revenge!

Today? No way!

Except you still get Montezuma

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo