Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I think that it was Bob Milek. He wrote an article about .25 caliber cartridges in a soft cover special that I recall owning back in the 90's, but don't know what happened to it. He did a nice write up on the 257 Roberts too, some old cowboy shooting mulie bucks from the rim of a canyon IIRC.

Huh uh. Definitely Jim Bashline.

All those old articles by the "scribes of yore" sent me down the rabbit hole of medium-sized .25 and 6.5 cartridges for deer hunting. I love cast bullets, and therein lies my affection for .30's and .32's, but mildly sizzling .25's and 6.5's caught my fancy for woods loafing long ago and I never looked back. I can't imagine a friendlier companion than a Savage M1899 .250-3000 takedown for such a day, when the woods are quiet, the deer are pussy footing, and I'm in the mood for connecting with the past and reflecting on the guys who influenced me.

Note to self: take a copy of Bashline's book that contains "Spiteful Crack" to the woods with me this fall, and balance it on the .250 Savage across my lap to read between naps.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty