Originally Posted by Ray_Herbert
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I think that it was Bob Milek. He wrote an article about .25 caliber cartridges in a soft cover special that I recall owning back in the 90's, but don't know what happened to it. He did a nice write up on the 257 Roberts too, some old cowboy shooting mulie bucks from the rim of a canyon IIRC.

Huh uh. Definitely Jim Bashline.

All those old articles by the "scribes of yore" sent me down the rabbit hole of medium-sized .25 and 6.5 cartridges for deer hunting. I love cast bullets, and therein lies my affection for .30's and .32's, but mildly sizzling .25's and 6.5's caught my fancy for woods loafing long ago and I never looked back. I can't imagine a friendlier companion than a Savage M1899 .250-3000 takedown for such a day, when the woods are quiet, the deer are pussy footing, and I'm in the mood for connecting with the past and reflecting on the guys who influenced me.

Note to self: take a copy of Bashline's book that contains "Spiteful Crack" to the woods with me this fall, and balance it on the .250 Savage across my lap to read between naps.

Having been a 250-3000 shooter since 1969, via a Savage 99G that was purchased at The Green Store in North Haverhill, NH, I'm rather partial to both the cartridge and most of the rifles that have been chambered for it. Since then, many more have come from FN, Remington, Ruger, Savage, and Winchester. My favorite is a Savage 1920 that once belonged to Larry Koller. Whenever I take it down from the wall and handle it, I wonder how often Larry used it and if it was one of the rifles that he wrote about in SAW. According to my conversations with the late Paul Koller, Larry had over 1,000 firearms in his collection when he passed away, including several Savage 1920s that came and went. This one was modified post-WW2 to accomodate a Lyman Alaskan.

I have only one book by Mr. Bashline, The Eastern Trail, but honestly don't remember anything about it.

EDIT: What is the title of the book that this Bashline article appears in?

Do you ever read anything others have posted?

I don't read everything that everyone posts, why?