Originally Posted by Hastings
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by irfubar
[quote=260Remguy]You must have missed Eisenhower's warning regarding the military industrial complex?
I don't see the connection that you apparently do.
You don't turn military men and their industrial suppliers loose to do what they will. It will keep us in foreign wars and bankrupt us which is what happened.

DDE supported NATO and established SEATO. The U.S. kept Armies on foreign soil during DDE's 8 years in office, in Europe and in South Korea. The presence of U.S. militrary forces in those places may have kept our enemies from starting, or continuing, broader conflicts.

I don't see how my comments regarding what might have been a better outcome if Stanley McChrystal had been retained as the commander in Afghanistan in 2010 have to do with expanding or condinuing the war. McChrystal was a JSOC guy, not a conventional Army guy, and probably would have minimized the number of boots on the ground. Like John Paul Vann said in Vietnam in the early 1960's when he was an advisor, "This is a political war and it calls for discrimination in killing. The best weapon for killing would be a knife, but I'm afraid we can't do it that way. The worst is an airplane.".