Originally Posted by WMR
“Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life”, according to Dean Wormer. IMO, raise a kid raised with good values and good examples will usually end up doing ok. If parents walk the walk the kid will be pretty BS proof. Teach them to think for themselves and they’ll make you proud. Like the poster who’s kid wants to be a doc, sometimes you’ve got to navigate the minefield. One can disagree without being disagreeable. Lots of paths to a good life.

My oldest son got College degree in Forestry and lived the College life to the fullest ( animal house), worked in in his field in several Western states . Got married and just moved back home with his wife expecting our first grandchild ! Got a job as assistant property manager for Purdue’s Forestry and Natural Resource Properties. 2nd son never liked school and it never liked him. I had a friend as. BA local 150 Operators union who wanted him in the appretiship program , but I made him take one year in a community college first . He hated it as expected and went in the Union. He made $110k when he was 19. Our youngest is in her last year at Purdue and will get multiple job offers before she graduates.
I hated High School so college was out of the question. I worked on a farm starting at 14 until after high school then construction, then sales. I bought a small town Chevrolet store when I was 39 and managed to raise a family. By the skin of my teeth but it worked .
Giving kids a good solid foundation in life and it usually works out