Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by RIO7

I am sure you are going to hear a lot of different idea's on what it takes to shoot well at long range, some people consider 500 yrds long range, others 800 yrds long range or 1000 yrds long range, how about 1 mile, 2 miles. let your goals help you decide what tool and Optic's to use.

Also I hope you have enough reloading stuff, to shoot what ever you choose more than just a little, Rio7

My friend told me that he wants to reach to between 700 and 1,000 yards. He is a reloader, but not what I would call a precision reloader.

My maximum comfort range is about 1/4 miles with a good solid rest in the field, but I've shot enough on our 600 yard range to be comfortable off the bench.

What is he wanting to shoot? Is this to be a target/play gun or is he wanting to hunt with it?

If just a target/play gun, I’d go with a 6.5 Creedmoor and enjoy less recoil and more barrel life. If hunting, then I’d concede the 6.5 PRC or .280 AI but could still be, and am happy with the 6.5 Creedmoor.

I’d also go with something heavier than either choice mentioned. My hunting rifle weighs 10.6 pounds all up with scope and magazine full of ammo. Its heavy by most folks standards but I’m more than willing to put up with the weight for the extra shootability and the confidence that brings.

I’ve not owned a Savage but have been around and shot a few and have never been impressed. I’ve just not observed the affordable accuracy I’ve seen so many brag about. I set up a Bergera HMR for a friend of mine and am duly impressed. My son had a Tikka CTR and that thing would shoot. Both were much more rifle for the $ than any Savage I have been around. For $1200 he could do much better than a Savage. The Howa Oryx chassis rifle would be another that would interest me.

John

Last edited by Hondo64d; 09/01/21.

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14