Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by catnthehat
If your friend is running a 139SST hot at around3,200FPS, he is going to be 23 MOA low if he has a 300 yard zero, .he is going to have to dial up 21MOA for 1,000 yard shot . THAT is with zero angle - flat shot, not adjustment for spin drift, wind,, or anything else.
That 139 is going to be only moving about 1,500FPS as well, with a time of flight that is over a full second.
The reason I picked the SST for the example is I have two very accomplished elk hunter friends who use this bullet for long range stuff, but there are many others that use Bergers, Lapuas, etc.
I meet people like your friend every day at our range, and it is a bit disturbing that they think they can make shots like that,
They rarely get onto our 1,000 meter line once people see them shoot at 500 meters however, but they go away with the same attitude " if the APP on my phone gives me the dial up I need I can do it"
No amount of speaking to them with fact wills change their mind.
Personally speaking for long range kills I would be shooting something a lot bigger with a brake on it so I could handle the recoil.
However, I no longer can make reliable long range kills at those distances, soo I don't attempt it.
Cat

I have no idea what loads he is shooting, or planning to shoot.

I have no idea what scope and mounts he has or is planning to buy for this rifle.

All I know is that he found someone to sell him a Savage 110 Ultralight in 280AI for a price he was willing to pay. He never got around to ask me to look for one for him and I never spend much time on his requests because he always wants full retail value for anything that he has to trade and wants to pay wholesale plus shipping and sales tax on anything that he buys. I don't mind breaking even on a trade, but I don't have any incentive to lose money on said trade.

Well I wish your friend all the best , the Savage rifles shoot very well generally no matter how many people hate them !LOL
Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!