Originally Posted by bluejay75
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

Might want to double check your data, hero.

You check it, hero.

https://www.ramshot.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/WesternPowdersHandloadingGuide8.0_WEB.pdf

My copy was a little older, but the new load book from Ramshot sure isn't in the 75K MPSI range if he adds 0.3 grains to the Sierra load.

[Linked Image]

I know you were an officer, so I suppose I'll have to dumb it down for you. 46 grains is significantly different than the 57 to 61 in your post (that's more powder than a 30-06 will use with TAC and 155s). 2925 fps in an 18.5" barrel is more than Ramshot is achieving with their 24" barrel. A barrel 5.5" shorter than the test barrel is going to be slower, not faster. So, since velocity equals pressure, the 18.5" 2925 fps load in question is either a: significantly over pressure in order to achieve such high velocity, or b: the poster's chronograph is off.

The Barnes Data is what I used since the 155 Scenar is longer than the typical 155 grain bullet from any other maker because the entire nose is hollow almost to the ogive...maybe a little past. Maximum was 48.2 grains of powder to yield 2980ish FPS. Try it and see. In contrast a 46.2 grains of Varget with all the same components yields 2775 from the rifle above. 2812 from a 20 inch. And 2889 from a 22 inch. Some powders peak faster than others.

The online Barnes data showing 48.2 grains as max is with 150s. Their 155 Match Burner data tops out at 46.6 grains, for 2904 fps.....in a 24" barrel.