Originally Posted by bwinters
I've been loading, shooting, and killing animals with the 308 for the better part of 10 years. It's been my main killing rifle. I didnt plan it that way, it just sort of evolved- its accurate, light, and I shoot it well.

I agree with smoke - I tend to maximize performance - but I dont chase every last fps. I maximize the combination of accuracy and velocity. My rifle tends to like several loads for any given bullet. In this rifle, I usually find 2-3 recipes for any given bullet and pick the most consistent accuracy with the most velocity.

To that end, I've run 180s to 2650 and shot elk/deer. I run 165s to 2700 and have shot elk/deer. I'm using 150 TTSX this year at 2885 for elk. I developed a 130 TTSX load this past year that clocks 3050 and can get to 3100. All in 22 inch Kimber Montana that weighs 6.6 lbs with a NF SHV atop. That rifle fits 99% of my hunting situations from deer to black bear to elk.

And I was not a fan of the 308 in my younger years. It just sort of happened - wasnt fast enough, didnt shoot flat enough, didnt recoil enough to seem effective, blag, blah, blah. There are better tools for true long range work. My hunting style doesnt seem to correlate with long range. I prepare for it but end up shooting something at less than 200 yards. At least for the past 40+ years.

I think the gist of the thread is about effectively killing an animal. The 308 does it very well within reasonable ranges. 50-100 ft/sec really wont make that much difference. Lob one into the lungs and get your knife out.

Get outta here with your rationale and pragmatism! But seriously, I echo your sentiments, especially in your journey to arrive at your .308 destination. I've been enamored with all sorts of magnums, but continuously find myself trying to add the perfect .308 to my arsenal to become a one-gun hunter. I had a custom one built for me this year, 24" Proof light sendero on a trued Remington action, with plans to launch 155 Scenars through it. It was inspired by @scenarshooter and the multiple Scenar threads on here. Haven't got it dialed in, yet, but it sure looks damn cool.

God Bless and Shoot Straight