I love great stories and that is a great story. Hang in there you will probably get him. But if you don't that is OK. You are still on a great adventure.
This reminds me of a hunt when I was about 15. For some reason I took my double barrel 12 gauge instead of my trusty 300 Savage (99EG). A deer ran up and stopped behind a tree about 30 feet from my tree stand. His shoulders were showing to the left of the tree. I aimed down the left barrel and pulled the trigger. He bounced away unscathed. I couldn't believe it. I opened the receiver and the shell in the right barrel had been fired. I had pulled the wrong trigger. I climbed down and went over to the tree. I counted 14 holes where the buckshot had hit the tree. A 3" mag holds 15 double ought. I was sick and always used the 300 Savage after that. The only Savage 99's around then were EG's in 300 Savage and we called them 300 Savages rather than 99EG's.

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]