Originally Posted by Swifty52
Originally Posted by scoony
Varget overrated for the 55 grain range? Guess I missed that memo.

I would not necessarily consider PP Varmint a Varget alternative, but it does pretty well with 50 and 55 grain.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Yup, overrated for sure. When Vargay first came out in 96 it was pretty good stuff, changed over the years had only mediocre results since about 04. Definitely not the cats meow in 223 for 45-55 grain range, LT32 beats it hands down in velocity and accuracy. About the only good thing about Vargay is that it works, not the best by any means in just about anything. When your low on the best and want to shoot grab the Vargay.

24 grains LT32, GMM primer, Norma brass, 52 Sierra, 10 consecutive shots velocity 3450, ES 28 SD 10

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Actually Varget came out in 1995 and I bought in big time, nobody had 8# jugs so I bought several cases of one pounders all from the same lot. I ran out a few years ago and found out the new Varget is not the same powder at all. Varget's downfall is when they changed the formula to "EXTREME". It might have worked well with some of Hodgdon's powder's but not with Varget.

I have never tried LT32 in my 223's since it is quite a bit faster burn rate, but have a bunch of it so I will give it a try