Looking for input from those that have used cast WFN bullets to hunt large game. Is there a velocity at which they are more effective, wound more or Dispatch game quicker.

I've been casting the Lee 310g wfn 44 bullet lately. For years I carried the similar 310g laser cast bullet loaded at 1200 fps in my 329 pd while in the woods.
They penetrate very well but I'm getting to where I don't tolerate the recoil as well as I used to. I've been working on a reduced load that goes 1050 fps and is much more manageable. I have no doubt the bullet will penetrate well even at the lower speed but will the wound cavity be reduced much.

An old timer that used to hunt a lot with cast used to tell me that wfn and Keith type bullets wound better at 1200fps or above. He said that at lower speeds they just pencil through. I'm not sure if there is any truth to it especially with only 150 fps difference. I know my 1200 fps load does about 1500 fps from a rifle and definitely seems to hit things a lot harder exploding varmints etc.

I'm wondering if I'd be better off going down in bullet weight to a 240-260g wfn and running them around 1200 fps or just staying with the Lee 310g at 1050 fps. I know I'm not going to run lots of 310g bullets through the 329pd or mtn gun at 1200 fps anymore.

Bb