Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by bowmanh
It's hard to beat a good 3-9x for hunting at ranges under 300 yards. You can leave it on 3x and dial the magnification up when needed. Works well in both the thick stuff and in more open country.

That's why the 3-9 was made. Very versatile use of magnification. Again, it's more about shooters preference. As you can see here, you got old dudes loving see through mounts and 4x scopes. Others prefer more magnification. I'm one that prefers more magnification than that. That's where the 3-9x40, 4-12x40, 4.5-14x42, 4-16, 6-18 all come into play.. There's not really a wrong answer..

Hauling our old azzesses up some damned big mountains covered with thick mahogany and manzanita is a consideration.
eek

I've gone in my lifetime from K2.5/K4 scopes to 3-9, 4.5-12, and back to compact 2-7 and 3-9 scopes, and from light compact rifles like my vintage 99 FW 243 to magnums to standard rounds (50% of my hunting with a 1936 vintage Mdl 70 '06), to now Kimber Montanas in 325 WSM and 257 Roberts with 2-7s on them.

I never hunted antlers, but I've shot some gi-normous bucks and some dinks. In my lifetime I've never found an acceptable recipe for antler stew.

As bsa said, there is No wrong answer. I'd hate to be fed a plate of few choices.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”