Originally Posted by Dixie_Rebel
I know the trend is more, more, more. But if you’re only shooting out to 300 yards with most shots 150 or less, do you ever really need more than a 3-9x40 scope?

4X is sufficient. I actually prefer a 6X40, but they are darned hard to find. I have one, and wish they all were - but at my age the investment doesn't make sense, swapping out the variables up to 3.5-10.

Fixed power has several advantages, and as far as I can see, no disadvantage over variables to the ranges I shoot (500 max),. Getting harder and harder to find straight fixed scopes, any power. Market is not there, apparently.

That said, the longest shot I ever made (well in excess of 500 yards, actual range unknown - pre rangefinder days) was with a steel tubed Weaver 3-9, set on 3X (by mistake). I saw where the first bullet kicked up snow, applied Kentucky windage, and centered the cow caribou through both shoulder blades with the second shot from the 25-06.

I do have an old Leupold 3X scope I have to put on something, but first I need to talk to leupold about it- it was on a 30-30 - I want to be sure it will withstand whatever I put it on- maybe a .243?

Anyone know something about this scope?

Last edited by las; 09/14/21.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.