As shown, its become quite common for a-fib that’s refractory to the anti-arrhythmics like flecaniade. But its not a risk free procedure like most of course. Since those with a-fib are almost always on blood thinners like Eliquis, bleeding is a risk. Anesthesia can be general (asleep) and some do a sedation technique which I wouldn’t choose.

It is the most common cardiac dysrhythmia and can be caused by a bunch of factors.

Key, as always is a good operator who can “map” during the procedure, identifying the “out of sync” areas toward the upper regions of both atrium which are then cryo- or heat treated. This is all done Percutaneously under visualization beginning in entering one of your femoral veins in the groin. Since the vena cava enters the left atrium, penetration of the atrial septum from the left is necessary to reach the right atrium. Personally, I’d opt for a cardio- that has done at least a 1000 cases and can give you a success rate and a complication rate.

It’s a technically demanding procedure and can go 1-6 hours depending on the operator and “stuff happening.”

Works perfectly for some and the opposite for others and may be repeated for those whom the drugs alluded to above don’t work.

So far, for my paroxysmal a-fib (means pops up once in a while) which started 2 years ago, flecanaide has worked perfectly. If the med works, no procedure for me.

Hope that helps a bit.