Originally Posted by Ky221
Originally Posted by Dude270
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Originally Posted by Ky221
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
20” barrel, 12” twist, 55 gr FMJ. Works in everything from monkeys to elephant, inclusive.

[Linked Image from static01.nyt.com]

YMMV but I'd consider a full metal jacket to be the exact opposite of a Jack of all trades bullet; seeing as the only thing it does well is punch paper.

Thank you for illustrating your narrow perspective.

While its far from my first choice, m193 or any 5.56 loaded 55 gr ball actually kills quite well unless speed drops off.

Dan knows what he speaks of. Hard to trump first hand experience with it in Indochina.

I've never shot any yellow folks or elephants with it but I know it kills pretty damn well within its velocity parameters for upset.

Like I said YMMV. I'm aware of double Ds Vietnam story, I've read it. But I don't see how shooting someone in indochina has anything to do with a do-all hunting load. I shot a couple of fox years ago with 55g ball and the results were less than impressive. I have thousands of 55g ball projectiles; but it's the last thing I'm reaching for when developing a load that im going to hunt with. What got double ds panties in a wad is a mystery to me and tbh I really don't care.

Panties in a wad? Your imagination is interesting. I don't care what you use or what you use it on. Recall I said "monkeys to elephant"? That includes a variety of birds, pigs, monkeys, people, tigers, water buffalo and an elephant. Little bit of marginal stability, tuff bullet and a lot of velocity....worked every time. They even worked on Lambrettas and small cars.

You'll find what you need/want, I'm certain of that. It is a combo from yesteryear and given trends in recent years they might not be the best, who knows?

Maybe the Shadow do.........

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain