I am sorry this has probably been covered before... but it looks like SAMMI sets the max pressure on the 06 at 60k psi and the 270 at 65k. Is that because of the older rifles chambered in the 30-06? If so, can a new bolt action 30-06 be safely pushed up to the 65k range? Reason I asked I was perusing the thread of "good 30-06 loads" and noticed quite a few were over the max shown in reloading manuals. I have a new Weatherby Vanguard in 30-06 and want some solid 180 grain loads, but do not want to venture into unsafe territory. Along with that, if it is safe to assume 65k psi will be a good working max, is there a way to figure out how much more powder that would take, or how much more velocity that will yield? I see a number of guys going 3-4 grains over max, seems to me that may be a bit more than 65k psi...but that is just conjecture on my part.

......the occasional hunter wielding a hopelessly inaccurate rifle, living by the fantastical rule that this cartridge can deliver the goods, regardless of shot placement or rifle accuracy. The correct term for this is minute of ego.