Originally Posted by Jevyod
Originally Posted by logger
Originally Posted by mathman
In a Vanguard it would be quite safe to load the 30-06 to 270 pressure.

I agree and the difficulty is knowing the relative pressures of the various 30-06 and 270 loads. Testing 5 factory 165 gr 30-06 loads had pressures ranging from 47,000 psi to 61,700, with those velocities being 2717 fps and 2849.

The interesting thing about handloading is that every component (bullets, brass, powder and primer) has a not inconsequential amount of variance. My experience is that by the time we see the "normal" pressure signs (sticky extraction, blown primers, etc.) we are way over SAMMI pressures. I have a 30-06 case that experienced 73,000 psi and it looks just like one that experienced 55,000 psi. in the same rifle.

And I have heard John state the same thing regarding "pressure signs" and that is what gives me pause. I see many say "no signs of pressure" when they are 3-4 grains over max in the 30-06. So maybe there is no simple answer to how much I can safely increase powder charge and still be no greater than 65k psi

As a rule if your primer pockets are still snug but not as much as a new case, your pressure is OK. Ultimately the brass is the key element. For example, if you annealed the case head and then loaded a vey mild load the primer pocket would expand a lot, primer would drop out.

A new case that has loose primer pockets after 3 shots is too high.