I am an unapologetic “one gun” hunter! While we own a few firearms, my wife and I each have one dedicated hunting rifle. I also firmly believe that there is no such thing as “overkill” ....at least in a shoulder fired firearm of reasonable hunting carry weight! All of this said....I’d recommend one of of the various .30 cal magnums or better yet a .338 WM. My wife’s “only” hunting rifle has been a 9 pound , scoped/loaded/slung, .338 WM since 1995! She’s taken deer/antelope up through moose and has never found it lacking or witnessed the dreaded “overkill”!

However, some of the “hyper-velocity” .30 calibers shooting thin jacket, highly frangible bullets will destroy a lot of tissue. If you want to take home more eatable deer, I’m recommend either a controlled expansion or a mono bullet with the high velocity magnum .30’s! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 10/03/21.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024