When I started hunting, the deer were the tiny California Blacktail which are probably just as elusive as the Whitetail Deer and probably hunted under similar conditions. After about 19068, all my deer hunting has been after Nevada and Arizona Mule Deer.

If the OP is, or plans to reload his ammo my thoughts tend to go with something like the .270, .280 Remington or 30-06 with my leaning toward the 30-06.

Doing reloads for the cartridge of choice would call for a two bullet solution. I've done this with teo cartridges so far, the .270 and .300 Win. Mag, For the .270 I run a 150 gr. Sierra Game King andd the Nosler 150 gr. Partition. In the .300 Win. Mag. it'd the 200 gr. Speer Hot Core and 200 gr. Nosler. The .2270 loads use the same powder charge and the .300 likewise with the appropriate loads. In both cases, groups run .75" or less. If I were to mix and match three shots of each load the groups will usually run 1,5" or slightly less. The load work in three .270 rifle and four .300 Win. Mags. I won't give the loads because the powder, Winchester's WMR has been discontinued for quite a few years now.

Getting back to the 30-06, I'd look at the 180 gr. Sierra Pro-Hunter or Game King and the 180 gr. Nosler Partition. I haven't tried this in the 06 because WMR flat out does not work in the 30-06 case. It's fine in the .270, 280 and .300 WM but is a disaster in the 06. Also, my 30-06 has a 1 in12" twist and does not like 180 gr. bullets. I have tried WMR in a Remington 700 BDL but no workee. Anyway, I think that's a reasonable method for a one gun hunter big game rifle. Fairly cheap practice with the cup and core bullet which also serves for deer sized game and the premium bullet for elk, bear and other large animals.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE