For many years our 30-06 and .338 rifles fired the 200 and 250 grain Nosler Partitions. In the later 80's I started using the 180 and 250 grain Barnes X bullets in the same rifles. They killed as well as the Partitions, gave less recoil in the 30-06 and flatter trajectory in the 30-06.

A few years ago I switched to the 168 grain TTSX for the 30-06 and 225 grain TTSX for the .338. Both are going around 2,835 fps mv. They are penetrating better then the Nosler Partition with less recoil and I trust both rounds as being of capable of handling any of Alaska's critters.

I am also loading the 127 grain Barnes LRX for my Tikka T3X Superlite 6.5 Creed and I know from autopsying many moose and caribou that were shot with Barnes TTSX bullets, it will kill any Alaskan critter. Would it be my first choice for dealing with a brown/griz in the alders, no it isn't. But, if I had a broad side shot at a brown/griz at under 200 yards I would poke a hole through his lungs and have a dead bear in a few minutes.

If I hunted state side I don't think I would have much use for my custom Mod. 70 in .338 Winny. My 30-06 or the 6 .5 Creed would see more use and the TTSX bullet would be for elk. Might even give me and excuse to make up a custom Tikka T3X Superlite in 7mm WSM or SAUM.

The Barnes X bullet in my opinion and the opinion of many of my hunting friends has been a game changer, but it would not be my first choice for deer unless using a .223.