Originally Posted by antero
Thanks everyone. I shot a mark IV target and it just wasn’t what I was looking for - too heavy and long, mostly. I was looking at a 4” Buckmark on the auto end of the spectrum, which is also very affordable at under $400. I also was considering the S&W M&P22C due to its light weight, but other than weight I think it doesn’t offer any advantages over the buckmark.

On the revolver side, I might stretch my budget and try to get a S&W 63 (or similar) if I can find one for a decent price. It looks like the size and weight I’m looking for, and I just like it a lot.

I shot a Wrangler and didn’t like it too much. Mostly the sights, I think. But it sorta turned me off of single actions.

If I had the budget for both right now I think I’d go buckmark and S&W 63. For now it’s just one gun however.

You are on the right track by handling, and if possible, shooting a variety of revolvers and semi-autos. You will know when one feels right to you and that is the one to go with, don't lock yourself into buying something just because it is the right thing for someone else on the forum.

drover

p.s. I am also a plinker and have owned a lot of revolvers and semi-autos over the years and the one that I could shoot best was a Sig 1911/22 but it is heavy.

Last edited by drover; 10/06/21. Reason: p.s. added

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.