My advise is to find a range that rents pistols and revolvers and try several of each . I have had any number of rimfire handguns in the past but only have two at the moment . I have a Colt Pre Woodsman and a Smith & Wesson square butt Kit Gun .

The revolvers area a bit easier to shoot snake loads in for me , I don't like to have to load them one at a time and I have never owned an auto that would function reliably with shot. With the Kit Gun I load three shot loads and the rest HP . Only problem for me with the kit gun is it is just slightly smaller than I would like it to be and even with the oversized grips I use I still only shoot it just passable . I can pop a snakes head off with solids with the Woodsman nine times out of ten on the first shot as far as I can see him. The kit gun is the gun I should have had when I was a kid instead of the Bearcat that I had then . If you shoot revolvers , I would think a K frame 4" with adjustable sights would be perfect for a woods gun .

If you shoot autos more or tend to shoot them better then that would be the way to go if the snake shot is not a big deal to you. You should really shoot several to get a feel for what grip you are comfortable with . I love the Ruger's but I don't shoot them well , tried one of the Luger .22's years ago and didn't shoot it well either . Never tried the old version of the Woodsman till recently because the grip shape and angle was so similar to the other two that I thought my results with it would be the same , WRONG ! I shoot the pre and first model Woodsman like it was a rifle . Try every one you can get your hands on before you spend your money.

Any of the Ruger single actions with LR and Magnum cylinders would be top choices if you like the grip shape . I do and own 5 SA guns for every other type that I own .One exception on the Ruger SA , I would not waste my money on the Wrangler. They are not quite as big a piece of crap as the Heritage Arms stuff but they ain't far off from it in my opinion. Buy Steel.

Last edited by EddieSouthgate; 11/08/21.

Grumpy old man with a gun.....Do not touch .
Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Don't bother my monument and I'll leave yours alone.