I have 2K in camping gear that I use on deer and elk hunts.... but it doesn't have to be... My last hunt was a December cow tag in Grizzly country.... I stayed in town at an Airbnb... Made my own breakfast every morning... had wifi... and went out to dinner every night...

One thought that might help the op is... if you figure an area out that you are gonna pull a tag for... You could get a turkey tag for the same area and test your elk camp in the spring so you get all the bugs worked out for the fall hunt... and you would really learn the area by truck and by foot.

Another thing to think about is to hunt the late seasons in Colorado or December for a cow in Wyoming. More than likely you will be the only one out where you are hunting... I normal hunt the 3erd Rifle in Colorado and by Tuesday.... I'm the only hunter for miles and miles. A 4th season Colorado hunt is even more lonely.

Get a cow tag for Wyoming that will let you hunt in December and pull your quarted elk out on a kids plastic sled all in one trip.

I wouldn't spend an azz load of money on an outfitter until I had some elk experience myself.

Well... we have come to the point.... where... the parasites are killing the host. It's only a matter of time now.

They only win.... when they cheat.