The neighbor and I went back to the spot I've seen bears at 6 times in a row now. We spent the night, had a big ol campfire, drank a little whiskey, and fell asleep about 10:30. Woke up late so we hustled to make it 2 miles out the canyon by daylight. Immediately spot this bear in the pre-dawn light, straining to make him out at 550 yards. As it got light he was headed for the next canyon over, hoovering acorns off the ground as he ambled along real slow.

Robert made an amazing 45 minute, 500 yard stalk up the mountain to cut him off. I was able to watch through the binoculars as they were on a collision course. Finally Robert spots the bear at 55 yards, feeding completely unaware. One well placed shot with the 284 and it was over. Robert let out a burst of pent up anxiety and whooped real loud. I chuckled to myself as he celebrated up there on the hillside. As all that's going on I spot movement on the hillside between us. Damn if the big red bear I spotted a week or so ago isn't walking across the hillside broadside at 200 yards. He stopped and looked down the hill towards my position several times. And there I sat w/o a bear tag. Again. LOL

It took us 6 hours to get that bear back to camp and in the creek to cool. Robert is so tickled he's been beside himself talking about it all day. That makes me happy. I love hunting timber pigs and sharing it with such an enthusiastic person. The .284 was flawless as always. The packs were about 90 pounds each. I kept getting stuck like a turtle on his back when I sat down to rest. Damn I'm not 25 anymore. I didn't feel too bad, Robert did a lot of grunting back there too. LOL

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by Fireball2; 10/09/21.

LOL