Originally Posted by Owl
I lived in UT in the late 70' thru the mid 80's. I used a .30-06 with Hornady Frontier 150 gr Spire Points (cheapest Ammo a kid could afford). SHOT PLACEMENT is where it's at. If you do your job, the .308win will do it's job.[u][/u] Over a 10 year period, I took 7-8 elk in the Monte Cristo area between Huntsville and Woodruff UT.

One thing that a great many do not realize, as they have never chronographed their ammo, is that a substantial amount of 30-06 factory ammo is very close to .308 velocities, or at .308 velocities.

Years back I had some green box Remington stuff that someone had given me that was the same projectile weight (165 grain) as the .308 handloads I was shooting. I recall that the listed velocity on the box and what the actual velocity was, was significantly different. Remington's 30-06 was a good 200FPS slower than what the box said. The .308 handloads were faster by a little bit. I don't recall the exact numbers but it was 30-40 fps range.

In spite of all the talk about how poor the 150 class projectiles seem to work on elk, I will stick with 155 Scenars in my little .308.. They seem to have a very consistent track record of putting elk in my freezer. smile

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com