I was with a retired Colorado guide friend when he took his 60th elk with his .338 Win Mag and he told me to shoot fir a double ling shot a elk can go further with a heart shot than a double lung shot.
I also used my .338 on my mature 6x6 bull as it fled for parts unknown - one Texas heart shot with Nosler Partition and bull ran bout 100 yards and stopped to die- I helped him go on to his last reward.

On to the .308:
Hunting cow elk in the hills somewhere southeast of Abilene, Texas, we had seen some hunge , fat 6x6 bulls and fat cows but they saw us and dissappeared. Our guide drove the ranch UTV up to the top of a bluff overlooking a valley and we scanned for game Soon an elk cow was spotted about 150 yards out and grazing directly away from us. I followed her in my scope waiting for a broadside shot. At range of 195 yards out, she turned left and then I waited for her to stop to eat. She did and I squeezed the trigger on my 1953 Model 70 FWT .308. The guide was watching with his binoculars and said "Good Shoot. Hair, blood and her insides just blew out the offside". We watched as she slowly walked about 40 yards and lay down. The guide said he saw another cow beyond mine and we drove the UTV back to a two track down into the valley.
In about 5 minutes, we passed the dead elk and saw that the 165 grain Hornady bullet had passed through both lungs . Back a camp and with a cup of coffee, ranch staff showed me the elk before skinning it.
[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

Last edited by crshelton; 10/15/21.

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/