Originally Posted by JSTUART
Originally Posted by huntersdog
Do you guys prefer stainless steel or carbon steel for your Mora knives?

With Mora I have found their stainless to be second to none, not so keen on the Mora carbon blades.

While I find the carbon blades to be excellent quality and keep a great edge, from a practical purpose, they rust quite easily and using them in the field on a regular basis tends to be one of those things where the stainless ones are a bit more practical. I can bring an edge back to a stainless blade in about 2 minutes with a $5 mini set of ceramic sticks that I keep in my hunting pack and I am back to processing an elk or whatever, or even just using in the kitchen. As much as I think the carbon blades are good, from this point forward, I will only buy stainless Moras. I have processed more than a couple elk with an $8 Mora utility knife and a $5 mini sharpener.

The Havalon scalpel knives are truly excellent for getting the hide off, and when I can manage not to misplace mine during the off season, I use mine as it makes short work of that task. The only thing I add there is that I take a very small set of pliers along to swap the blades out on it as a safety precaution. Usually the Havalon blade and knife is gooey with stuff and since I hunt late season (December) it is often below freezing and sometimes below zero and it is way too easy to slice a hand or finger wide open with the scalpel when you cannot feel your fingers. Many hours from a hospital is not the place to open up your hand, which can happen in an instant.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidebar:

The havalon is sitting on a piece of VS-17 panel.

I carry half a piece of VS-17 panel, which is an aircraft marking/signal cloth. A few reasons. When I get an animal down, I tend to put my tools on it, so I can keep track of them. I also use it to mark the location by putting the panel in a tree or bush or on a rock high enough to be visible at a distance so I can find the spot for return trips when hauling out meat. I also use it when I am hunting with my elderly father or my kids, and I have my daughter carry a piece as well. I can easily locate them and vice versa. Fairly practical piece of lightweight little cloth.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com