Used to indirectly supervise (I supervised the animal control supervisor) a county wide animal control program. We dealt with skunks. One of the keys was a calm low key approach. Covering a live cage trap with an old tarp to relocate and then dumping entire thing in water works surprisingly well. If you cover the box trap with something, the skunk will try to pull it inside if it can and has time to do so. A lot of serious trappers used to inject skunks with syringe full of sodium .... can't remember to kill them in way they wouldn't spray and they could extract the scent for lures. Key for them to was slow and easy. Don't spook or excite them. Our most experienced animal control officer once responded to a cemetery. Crew had dug grave night before. They went the next day to set up tent right before the funeral to find a skunk in the grave. He was able to get the skunk out with a catchpole and get it completely out of cemetery without it spraying. They were very thankful and impressed. Of course it unloaded full blast on him when he tried to put it in the truck box though... ;-) and he came to my office to tell me about it!

Last edited by Rangersedge; 10/30/21.