I love to see threads like this since I remember when I composed a similar post for my first trip. I always think it is great that other hunters are so willing to share and help newbies, especially when it comes to hunting Africa.

OGB, you've already received a lot of very good advice here. I agree with everyone that you definitely want to make sure that you go with a known, reputable outfit that has a great reputation and a good track record. My recommendation on that front is to plan on attending the SCI or DSC conventions and personally visit with the outfits that seem to offer what you want. Oftentimes, you can talk to the actual PHs that you may be hunting with and that is worth a lot. Spending a day or even two days talking to these companies will tell you a lot about them. With the research you're doing now, you'll know which ones you want to talk with and can concentrate on them. If you're ready to book when the conventions come around, you can often get some pretty good "show" specials and save a few bucks, but don't let that force you into booking with someone that you don't feel good about. If you feel pressured at all, don't do it. Just walk away. You can always come back to them after the show and after you've done more research.

Best of luck to you. By the way, my first trip to Africa was for buffalo as well, and I see no reason not to target your primary animal on a first safari. Don't wait any longer than you have to!