Originally Posted by OGB

The only way I could swing one of those conventions is if it was within a days drive of the Wilmington NC area.

OGB, trust me, I understand what you're saying here. The reason I understand is I had just about an identical response to the suggestion that I attend one of these conventions when it was suggested to me before my first trip. I couldn't see myself spending the money or the time just on an information gathering trip. After I went on my African hunt, where I basically got ripped off by a so called "reputable" outfitter, I realized that I really hadn't done a good job of checking out the various companies and/or double checking their track record. When I came back, I decided I had to go to the convention just to see what I had missed. The convention really opened my eyes to how much I had missed and how little I really knew about the business side of things. I realized that if I had spent the money up front on attending the convention, I would have been money ahead.

Personally, if I was going to Zim, where things seem to constantly be changing, I'd want to know how successful people have been in recent years for my targeted animals, what was the hunting like for plains game, how long did it take to have a chance at a mature bull, has their hunting area changed for the worse or the better or have they recently changed concessions, who owns the concession now, how many others might be hunting on that concession when I'm there, what PH would I be hunting with, and what is his experience level, and what the local poaching situation may be? By talking to multiple companies in the surrounding area, and not just the one you want to hunt with, you'll get a better feel for what is actually going on and what it might be like when you plan on being there.

It's hunting and nothing is assured, but with this much money involved, you want to make doubly sure that you have a handle on the things that you can control and that you aren't just relying on what the people you'll be hunting with tell you. By talking with other hunters that you will encounter at the convention, you'll get a lot more info/feedback on these types of things that you wouldn't otherwise ever have access to. I'd also want to know what their bull buffalo quota is each year and how many buffalo hunters they take each year. That will give you an idea of how hard the buffalo in their concession are pushed.

Just some more bits of info to chew on...