If you want to hunt buffalo and you can afford it, go do it. You can hunt plains game a lot of places. We’ve been to Africa twice. First trip was to Namibia. Namibia was high fence, but over 50,000 acres, very similar to free range. Animals were wild and it was hunting.

Second time was South Africa. If you are going plains game hunting in South Africa you may as well save the trouble and go to South Texas. Cost in south Texas will be similar and hunting may be more realistic. Our experience in South Africa was small high fence places, by small I mean 1000- 2000 acres, with game recently purchased at auction.

If you decide on South Africa, I agree with an earlier post, use a service to meet you. They will help with guns through customs, and travel to the accommodations. We used Africa Sky ( I think that was the name it’s been a couple years). Accommodations were excellent, food was great, place was safe, and they stored our guns and luggage 3 days while we went up to Victoria Falls at little to no charge - only part of South Africa that we received a good value for the expense.

As was stated earlier, expect to spend twice what your hunting costs with travel, shipping, and taxidermy. We have only shoulder mounted a couple, the rest are European. Taxidermist in San Antonio does great work.

Whatever you do, don’t buy a hunt at auction. You pay twice and get half the value. Once you narrow your choices, post up the names and get some reviews by folks on here. I’m ready to go back, but can’t imagine going to South Africa. I’m sure there are some quality places and people, but what we saw was similar to the place we hunted.

It’s all about Leadership.