Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

Well, you didn’t mention what it’s or is to be chambered in, but regardless, you want to add nearly two pounds of scope, rings and bases to an already very heavy rifle? Is it to be another 308?

I guess my next question would be where do you elk hunt that you get mostly mostly under 300 yd shots but want a 10+ lb rifle? If it’s private land where you can take a lay-down stand, maybe. But anything other than that and we have very different views of what makes a portable elk rifle.

I have no problem with the 308 itself.

sorry. it's now a 280AI.

so just to be clear, on my elk hunt this year I found a couple spots that offer longer shot opportunities, and surprisingly, neither are ridiculous hikes from the road. both are <1/2 mile from the truck, all walking on fairly flat terrain. for this application, a heavy rifle isnt a bad thing.

my "normal" elk rifle is a Savage LWH in 308, with 4-12 glass. I used it to shoot this years cow at ~35 yards on public land/national forest. in my lifetime, I've shot 3 elk now. 35, 19 and 35 yards each. smile

First teach a child to love God, second teach him to love family, third teach him to fish and hunt and by the time he is in his teens no dope dealer under the sun can teach him anything. Cotton Cordell