Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd
Originally Posted by Billy_Goat
Originally Posted by ERK
What is the actual purpose of the rifle? Edk

elk rifle from 300-500 yards.

most of my elk hunting areas are short range (<300 yards) but there are also several spots where opportunities are considerably longer.

You don’t have to dial for 300 yds, and on elk, barely for 400. Beyond that, I would say yes. If this is elk-specific, I agree, you really don’t need more than10x at the top. Ok, 10x, 12x, or 15x top.

Might ask what is your platform, weight, and chambering. Just my opinion, but if your back wall is 500, you could do well without a special build and a quality scope with a good ballistic reticle.
Exactly this^^^ Good post. I would use a simple Burris FFII 3-9x40 with a ballistic plex reticle and have ho issues at all. The op did say he would use this rifle for close shots too. No need for a FFP or wasting time dialing if shots are only 500 either. Just practice with a set up that has a ballistic plex type reticle and know your limits. I was shooting with a guy yesterday that wanted to use his elk hunting rifle in a long range varmint silhouette match. He was shooting off of his pack, the rifle was a Remington 700 and he was using a Vortex 4-16x50 with a ballistic reticle of some sort. He managed to hit the 600 yard target once. Said he had shot a bull with the rifle last year that was 500 yards away, so it can be done with a simple set up like that. However, he needs a chit ton of practice, which was apparent yesterday: I don't think he shoots the rifle much and relies on factory ammo. He possessed 3 big downfalls, that I could see, if you want to attempt shooting and taking big game animals at longer distance. As much as I don't like Vortex, the scope was not one of them. JMHO..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA