Three of us went out to Harrold yesterday afternoon about 3 o'clock. It was a much chillier day than Saturday was. The pickup said 31, I called BS on that and said 23. My neighbor said he'd peg it at 19. It was fresh. Dry and over cast but the sun came out toward the end.

We caught the birds napping in a loafing cover next to harvested corn. Unfortunately we also caught about 6 whitetails napping in the same place. When the dogless blocker (Me) took a poke at a distant passing rooster, the deer woke up, scattered and in doing so scattered about 250 pheasants as well, and before the walkers got close enough to bag any. Our cover is thin this year owing to the lack of rainfall and so once scattered, its hard to get back on the birds. We ended up with two hefty roosters, both shot by the dogless blocker (me). If we'd had three more blockers in place, it would have been a grand shoot indeed. Fun to see so many pheasants going so many directions at once.

Edit to include that I am up to five flawless retrieves over the weekend. I was steady to the flushes, took excellent lines, retrieved to hand without a victory lap, and even deposited the birds in the pickup.

Last edited by BKinSD; 11/22/21. Reason: judging my retrieving skills.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"