Originally Posted by Masshunter
Just my two cents, not knowing what rifle, my early Marlin 357 has micro-groove rifling so I would not use cast bullets in mine. I use bigger guns for deer, but have shot maybe a dozen coyotes using factory Federal 158 HP and SP rounds that are from the mid 80's. The results were impressive,big exit wounds, most one shot kills. I recovered a couple bullets and they had textbook mushrooming. These were eastern coyotes averaging 35 to 45 pounds, I weigh them in the field and they stay there. Based on my limited observations I would stay away from bullets designed for handguns for deer if it was me, seem to expand too soon.I have no experience with hogs.
I got pass throughs with broadside lung shots on deer with factory 158 gr. Winchester sp's. A quartering to shoulder shot exited the rear ribcage on the off side with same. Win and Rem 158 hp's were usually found nicely mushroomed against off side hide on broadside shots while 158 gr Hornady xtp's most often exited.. No deer went more thasn 60 yards after being shot. One at just over 200 yards with 158 gr Remington HP exited on a broadside lung shot and the deer was down in 40 yards.