Originally Posted by SCRooster
I've taken a half dozen whitetails with a Marlin 1894 CB LTD and more than a dozen pigs with the same carbine ... just not big pigs. Garden variety wild pigs that we have a lot of around here.

SWC 158 hardcast work fine on pigs under 100 pounds but but you really need to load for velocities up in the 1500 fps range and keep your shots under 50 meters.

Pigs over 100 pounds you need to hardcast into the 170-180 grain weight range and still keep your velocities over 1250 fps.

Whitetails, your 158 grain White Box Winchester JSPs are just fine inside of 75 meters. If you handload there are a couple of good polymer-filled HPs out there that hold together well and that will allow you to get the speeds on-up-there ... Hornady FTX is one, Federal makes one ... name escapes me at the moment but I keep hearing how good it is, it's a newer line made for straight walled cartridges .... Hammerdown maybe? The Leverevolution stuff is all good, I've used that more than anything on whitetails out of my leverguns. My wife sort of took over my 1894 CB LTD after she had her first luck with it and I went back to my old reliables ... there are a lot more options out there, for levergun hunters, than there used to be. The Leverevolution stuff was ground-breaking but honestly I took so many pigs and whitetails with the old JSP stuff along with some lazercast hardcast stuff, especially with the 44 mag, the 444 Marlin and the 45-70, .... the Leverevolution stuff really helped with the 357 crowd.
Those are all very mild velocities out of a carbine barrel. Factory 158 jsp/hp ammo usually clocks 1750-1800 fps out of my 1894C. Handloads with H110/296 will get over 1800 and almost 2000 fps with Lil' Gun.