Originally Posted by irfubar
Originally Posted by rgrx1276
Originally Posted by irfubar
Originally Posted by rgrx1276
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Just went to sporting goods store and noticed a large display of Rooster Tail spinners. In my 50 years on the planet, I've never caught a fish on one. Has anyone? Mepps, panther martin, blue fox...yes. Zilch on a rooster tail.

Someone must be buying them, because they still make them.

These were caught on rooster tails this year in NM.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Wow.... those are toads.... did you really need to kill them?

Tough to eat them alive.

Eating trophy fish... really?
Eat brookies, planter rainbows... long john silvers etc.... most people will never catch 1 rainbow that size in a lifetimes of trout fishing.
Your ego overrides your good judgement

Those look like last years planters in several lakes around here. We eat every one we catch.

Rooster tails? Until 1980, I thought fish were caught from the bank with a worm. Then I discovered the joy of trolling with spinner baits.

Lots of love here for Panthers. I have a few in the tackle box, but don't think I have ever caught a fish on one. My son loves them.

Blue Fox is a cheap imitation of a Mepps. If you are trolling, spend the extra money for the Mepps. The Blue Foxes twist and tangle lines. You spend more time untangling and respooling the kids fishing rigs than they spend fishing. And yes there is a ball bearing swivel ahead of every spinner tossed from my boat.

So, for us, it is Mepps, or Rooster tails, or hard baits, whether we are casting or trolling. Not so much for panfish, Crappie get plastic jigs, bluegill get worms.

A certain high mountain lake, just as the snow goes off the passes and it is first accessible in late June, we have found the trout bellies to be full of what appears to be black ants. You can catch a limit in short order with a white or yellow body rooster tail with a broken black pattern which resembles a segmented insect.

Trout, smallmouth, and squawfish will all bend your rod snatching a rooster tail. The roostertail, with the willowleaf blade is a little harder to initialize spin. I always sweep the rod forward to make it start spinning. Rooster tails require a bit faster trolling speed to make them work than do Mepps.

For slow retrieve, bouncing off the bottom, a Mepps works better.

And then there is another favorite mountain reservoir around Labor Day, in which the trout will bite nothing but a wedding ring spinner with green beads and blades, and a worm. Fish be funny critters.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.