I went into this muzzleloader season with the mindset of absolutely getting the most out of the season and not caring if I filled the tag or not. I too am getting a little older and getting more satisfaction out of the hunt, country, friends, family and experiences. Success is always nice, but the journey is just as important any more. Along those lines I am enjoying the processing part immensely, from field dressing to table.

I thought I passed up a lot of bucks last year, but I passed up even more this year. Enjoyed the hunt even more, and am already excited for next year.

I did not weigh the buck, but he was easily over 200 pounds, which is about as big as I have seen Black Hills WT's get. My archery deer weighed 225# and was the biggest deer I have taken in the Hills. I attribute that to the fact that we had a mild winter last year and are on track for another this year. We have been running about 20 degrees above average, and that certainly makes wintering easier on the herd.

I have shot some heavier ones out on the prairie and back in eastern SD farm country in years past. But I prefer hunting the Black Hills hands down. Even though the deer are not as big, the experience for me is much better. . Rattling, grunting, sitting, and oozing along the ridges all have worked. And sometimes just plain old luck plays a hand. grin

Last edited by CRS; 12/10/21.

Arcus Venator