Originally Posted by Keechi_Kid
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
For that type of shooting I’ve had best results with the 180 ELD, 162 AM, and 145 LRX. Haven’t played with the 180 Scenar yet.

Jordan, what are you using the 180 ELD with? Just wondering how they hold up on heavy game if you’ve used them. I remember reading 30338’s posts they were quite explosive.

So far I’ve been shooting them from 7WSMs and 7RMs at 2930-2970 fps MV. I’ve posted this before, but probably the best example I have of stress-testing that bullet on heavy game, was when it entered the brisket of a large bull moose on a slightly quartering frontal shot at ~30 meters, penetrated about 4 feet, and exited near the last rib on the offside. The bullet didn’t hit any major bone, but penetration was impressive, none-the-less. So far, for me at least, they behave about like every other model of ELD-M I’ve used on game, which is about like an average heavy-for-caliber (high SD) tipped C&C. They expand and penetrate just fine as long as impact speed isn’t crazy. Even in the case of the bull moose example above, which is about as high an impact speed as I expect with an ELD, it penetrated very well and held together just fine.

I’m glad to hear the heavy for caliber ELD-M’s work for elk. I have been using them to great effect on hogs. 208 gr ELD-M out of a 30-06 has been completely effective on all sizes, ranges and shot placements. It’s not a meat saver bullet, but the wounding potential means you will anchor the animal. Penetration and expansion matches what’s needed on the body ranges I see.

My goal has been for 2700 fps which is working the 30-06 pretty hard. Going to have a 300 H&H built which should let me utilize that bullet at the goal velocity nice and easy with low pressures. But I’ve been wondering if optimizing the build around that bullet would handicap me in the future for elk. Sounds like I should be good to go.

I liked how well the 212 ELDX works on elk from my 30-06 at 2700.. It is one of the combo's I don't mess with. Accurate as hell and just works like magic in that speed range in my opinion.

Semper Fi