Happy New Year Everyone

Here’s the report for the year, as I listen to some kids setting off firecrackers.

I’ve gone from zero to two 1899’s. Discovered the first one in my late father’s gun safe - I never knew Dad had this gun (and a few others as well). Using Rory’s book, this appears to have been built in 1902. 30-30. Full length octagonal barrel. Straight stock (not a pistol grip). Curved metal butt plate.

Attended the Tulsa Wannemacher show in November and got to meet a few of the regulars in this forum (thank goodness Joe was wearing clothes). Also picked up my second 1899. 250 Savage. Takedown. As I recall, it was built in the late teens (1916?). Barrel chopped to about 19”. Wearing a Weaver K4 in a Stith mount. Pistol grip. A shooter, not a collection piece. Rick and Rory helped me to evaluate the gun and validate the price. Much thanks.

Finding this campfire Savage forum has been great. Entertaining and informative. The education has been tremendous. Thank you for your contributions and sharing your expertise.

Watching eBay, the classifieds here and a couple of Texas classifieds, I have been able to outfit myself for reloading. Bonanza Co-ax press, Dillon manual scale, Belding & Mull powder measure, Lyman vibrating tumbler, Hornady ultrasonic, six sets of dies, brass, and bullets. Picked up a RCBS hand primer and copy of Ken Waters Pet Loads this morning.

Two weeks ago, I scored a nice deal on 10,000 primers and a 8-lb jug of powder. Feel extremely fortunate.

Trying to start the new year right. Will be driving to Bastrop TX tomorrow to pick up a Weaver K4 that will sit on Dad’s Rem 760 chambered in 308 Win. Currently wearing a crappy Bushnell Banner scope that I believe Dad bought in the early 70’s for about $25. I may have the K4 serviced or reconditioned by Ironsight.

Blessed to still have my mom - she will be 92 in March. Just learned that my daughter will have her firstborn this coming July. Planning to spend some time in California with my 2-yo grandson.

Now, if I can just find some ammo for my 250 ….

Here’s to a happy, healthy, blessed and safe 2022.

Forrest

Adventure is the only thing you buy that makes you richer