Originally Posted by pabucktail
The last couple years my dad was alive he'd ask about specific guns, one or two at a time. Some I said "Yeah, I definitely want that." Others had either no sentimental attachment for me or were valuable enough to make me feel bad about expressing any interest in taking them. Above all, asked him to write down what he wanted to go to who. He kept saying "Just keep what you want and sell the rest so your mother gets some decent money." Well, he dies and come to find out nothing had been written down.

There's five of us kids and I'm the only one with any real interest in guns. Come to find out there's some score-keepers amongst my siblings who suddenly gave a very big damn about what guns I intended to keep, how much are they worth, and how is that "fair". I wouldn't say sorting out the guns became nasty, but it was certainly fraught with a bunch of unneeded emotion. In the end I kept some, gave some away to BILs and nephews, and sold a bunch but it would've been alot easier if dad would've just done the work for me according to what he wanted. It's harder to argue with a dead man than it is the casually appointed guy he leaves behind.

Dealing with Dad's situation certainly changed how I plan to do things. As I get older I plan to give more away to family or friends I know will appreciate and use them. I can also see myself selling some off in order to buy something I could use or need. I realized that hanging on to this stuff to the bitter end is pretty pointless in light of the enjoyment I'd gain from seeing people I love use them or freeing up money for a more practical purpose here and now rather than having something I get out of the safe to pet on occasion.

Yeah, things go all to hell when there's money involved. People get all butthurt about $1000. It's their accidental way of telling everyone they ain't got nothing.

My father in law had one firearm, a Model 12. 3 members of the family said they were going to get it when Jim died. I heard that several times from each of them. Bad part for them was Jim gave it to me years before he died. After he died, everyone assumed the felon nephew stole it and sold it so the conversation never came up. I had it refurbished and brought it out at a family gathering. Now everyone knows where it is and where it stays.