Originally Posted by MOGC
All I hunt is big woods, darn few fields in the national forest here. Early in the year when the woods are open before green up I usually use my trusty old Benelli M1 with either an Indian Creek or a Kick's turkey choke. With Hevi13 6's that old M1S90 has taken more than a few stubborn 50 yard gobblers in the open timber. Late season when things get greened up and bushy, I change out the turkey tube for a flush fit modified or often I'll break out my old 870 with plain modified barrel and 2.75" short magnum Winchester XX #6 loads. Late season in the timber means shots 30 yards and under, many times well under. The old 870 Wingmaster is a sentimental favorite that I have had since I was sixteen. That old shotgun is nearly silver, I have packed it so much as a young hunter I have the bluing nearly gone. It's fun to take it out once in awhile and it handles those sub 35 yard birds great.

Better get you a fow tin if you ever expect to be a real turkey hunter.

All kidding aside....you need to try some 2&3/4" Winchester Roosters #4 or #5 shot with the Shotlock Technology. The #4s shot really good in an old Win.97 I had.