I’m going to dive in and build my first AR. I’m a bit torn whether not I want to build a predator rifle, or a pistol first, but I suppose it’s largely irrelevant for the questions I have…I’m hoping to buy all of the components and more or less “snap the gun together”. I would like to avoid any intricate milling work if possible. My goal here is to build a reliable and functional weapon and save a little bit of money while doing it compared to buying a complete gun

Like anything else, there are guys who think X manufacture is better than all the others, when realistically there is really no bad options. Is that the case with uppers and lowers? What manufactures would you avoid and why? Some guys say the lower is not something to get caught up in since they are largely all the same and to spend your money on the barrel and trigger mechanisms, thoughts?

Obviously it’s always great to build something reliable as cheaply as possible, but I have no problem paying more money for something truly better.

~$1000 budget or so

Last edited by scottprice; 01/09/22.