Originally Posted by AH64guy
Originally Posted by pullit
I am trying to learn this stuff, what makes one handguard $50 and one $200?

Marketing and branding have a lot to do with the cost - the name sells sometimes mo' betta than the product qualities do.

But - reality, the cost difference is alloy of the metal used - better alloy, more cost - you'll pull accessories off of cheap rails when the soft metal gives way.

Complexity of the handguard - how much machining does it take to make the tube, cut the rails, any mounting points for slings, etc.

Proprietary parts - to use "our rail", you have to use "our barrel nut", or "our barrel nut wrench" - or both.

Hardware - cheap rails "generally" have cheap hardware - either off-sized (the one metric allen wrench you don't have), or are soft metal - they strip out in the head, or in the rail mounts - as noted above.

An noted - metal finish - "hard anodized" verses "baked on" verses "painted" - they all have a different half-life.

Its doesn't take a "combat tour" to have some of these problems show up - it can be as simple as bump going to and from the range, or in and out of the truck.

BTDT. After buying my S&W performance center and finding the barrel loose because those idiots didn't tighten down the barrel nut. Scary huh? I tried to find a damn barrel nut wrench for that Alpha rail with no damn luck. I made one that works very well, but before cutting this one out, I ordered one on line. I didn't want to wait a week to shoot my new rifle, so I cut this one out with the plasma..:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

After that ordeal, I prefer a barrel nut that takes a crescent wrench or standard sized wrench.. My Noveske NSR's just use a 27mm or 1 1/16" open end wrench.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA