Asking in the rifle loony section where seldom is heard a discouraging word, I wouldn't expect anything but a strong affirmation to buy. Being a card carrying analytical, I apply my three things rule to any prospective purchase. Do I want it? Do I need it? Can I afford it? If those all pass your individual sniff test then sure, go for it.

Since you asked however, here is my take on the 7mm RM. As a young guy with a new job and the intent to go out west elk hunting some day, I wanted a perfect one size fits all chambering that would do the job on our Wisconsin whitetails and the out west elk too. I'd borrowed a .30-30 and a .300 WM from a gun guy friend of my dad and killed some deer with them before I could afford my own rifle. It was one of those Goldilocks things for our deer here. One was too small and the other one was too large. A 7mm RM Remington 700 BDL was just right to my way of thinking. I killed a bunch of deer and some elk with it and modified it lighter. Then one cold opening morning I was sitting there in my heavy orange puffy when a nice shootable 8 pointer needed shooting. At the shot that magnum compressed my puffy and what stopped a lot of the recoil was my forehead. One and done was a good thing because there wouldn't have been a second shot for a time. As I sat there kind of dazed, I realized that I'd just had some sense knocked into me and that while I'd gotten the deer, I'd also just blown the hell out of whatever was behind the deer. Deer are only 12" wide and I sure didn't need a magnum anything. I built up a 7mm-08 after that and have lived happily ever after. That 7mm RM is in the back of the gun safe now and it hasn't been out hunting since. Thinking back on the elk I've shot, there isn't one of them that wouldn't have been on the meat pole if I'd have used that "tiny" 7mm-08 instead.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory